Tuesday, April 4, 2023

1890 Census, Perry County, Alabama, James A. Giles

 It’s amazing, for 46 years I have been actively researching and documenting my family lineage. I learned a long time ago that the 1890 Census was destroyed by fire but that remnants of the Census did survive. I also learned that remnants for North and South Carolina, where my ancestors resided, did not survive. So I gave no thought to the 1890 Census not even a peep. I just assumed the 1890 Census looked like all the other census that were available.

I was certainly surprise last week when I was given a chance to look at the 1890 Census for someone that I was actively researching – James A. Giles. My biggest surprise was the format and layout of the page. 

My 3rd Great Grandmother was a Gandy. James Addison Giles, born 21 October 1850 married Sarah P. “Sallie” Gandy on 8 November 1879.   Sarah P. “Sallie” Gandy was born 12 April 1850, a daughter of Thomas Holland Gandy and Permelia Pearson.

This 1890 Census shows the family composition at that time.

Census Image Courtesy of Ancestry


Abstracted information from this census record is (Dwelling #39):

  • James A Giles, age 40, Head, Farmer, born in AL.
  • Sallie P Giles, age 40, Wife, born in AL. (Mother of 5 children, 2 deceased)
  • James D Giles, age 6, Son, Born in AL
  • Sada [Sadie] Giles, age 4, Daughter, born in AL.
  • Amelia V. Giles, age 2, Daughter, born in AL.







__________________________

1. 1890 CENSUS: Perryville, Perry, Alabama; Roll: M407_1; Page: 039; Enumeration District: 78; Family History Library Film: 0926497; Dwelling#39, Family#1; Household of; James A Giles, age 40, Head, Farmer, born in AL.; Sallie P Giles, age 40, Wife, born in AL. (Mother of 5 children, 2 deceased); James D Giles, age 6, Son, Born in AL; Sada [Sadie] Giles, age 4, Daughter, born in AL and Amelia V. Giles, age 2, Daughter, born in AL.

No comments:

Post a Comment