Thursday, April 27, 2023

The Last Will & Testament of Jane (Morgan) David

 



Jane Morgan was the 2nd wife of my 6th Great Grandfather Evan David. Evan, first married Jane Rees who gave him 5 children, all boys, before her death on 1 Dec 1723. After her death, Evan married Jane Morgan, daughter of Watkins Morgan. They were married in or about 1724. This date is based on the birth of their first child in 1725. To this union were born 3 sons and one daughter.  

Evan David died after 21 August 1748. This date is the exact date Evan wrote his Last Will and Testament and we have several witness stating they saw him sign this document.  No Last Will and Testament has been found for his first wife, Jane Rees.

Jane (Morgan) David wrote her will on 4 January 1774. No exact death date has been found for Jane Morgan David’s death; but, her WILL was dated 4 January 1774 and probated 27 Sept. 1774 by her son John, who was sole executor.

Transcription:

Last Will of Jane [Morgan] David
In the name of God Amen. I Jane David of Pencader Hundred & county of New Castle in Delaware being very sick and low in Body but of perfect mind and memory blessed be God for his mercies and calling to mind the mortality of all mankind thought proper to make this my Last Will and testament in the following manner –
First, I recommend my soul to God who gaveth me and my body to earth to be buried in a Christian and decent like manner at the discretion of my Exc’r hereafter named and as touching such worldly goods as it has pleased God to bless me with I do will and bequeath in the manner following. Imprimis: After all my just debts and funeral charges are paid I do will and bequeath to my loving son John David all my plantation and tract of land whereon I now live during his natural life and to the heirs of his body lawfully begotten but in case he my said son John should die without heirs aforesd then it is my will and pleasure that the said plantation or tract of land aforesd descend to my grandson Joshua David. Item, I give and bequeath to my loving daughter Margarate all my wearing apparel my bed & furniture & two of the best sheets, likewise half of the pewter and a black cow and if my S’d son John should die without heirs as aforesd and my daughter Magarate should be left a widow by the death of her husband then it is my will that my S’d daughter Magarate shall enjoy the aforesaid tract of land during her widowhood after which it is to descend to her son as aforesd. I give and bequeath to each and every of the rest of my grandchildren five shillings, I do further will and bequeath all the remainder of my personal estate to my said son John also I do hereby constitute and appoint my said son John David to be the whole and sole Executor of this my last Will and Testament and I do hereby revoke and disannul all former Will or Wills confirming this and no other to be my Last Will and Testament as witness my hand and Seal this 4th day of January 1774.
                                                                              her
                                                                       Jane X David seal
                                                                             mark

Signed, Sealed published & declared to [be] her last Will and Testament in
presence of us. the lower lines of the other side being first inserted}
Thomas Rees
Mary Rees
Daniel Rees

Jane Morgan was the 2nd wife of my 6th Great Grandfather Evan David.





___________________________________
1. "A Calendar of Delaware Wills New Castle County 1682-1800, Abstracted and Compiled by The Historical Research Committee of the Colonial Dames of Delaware, Genealogical Publishing Company,  1969, Page 71. WILL of Jane David. Jan. 4, 1774. Sept. 27, 1774. K-168

2. WILL BOOK "K1", page 168, New Castle, Delaware > https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C95D-F38F-N?i=702&cat=37876

No comments:

Post a Comment