Monday, August 19, 2019

Amanuensis Monday~Last Will and Testament of James Davis


Amanuensis Monday is a genealogy blogging theme. It was started by John Newmark who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog.

His definition of Amanuensis is:
Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.


Today’s subject is the Last Will and Testament of James Davis.1


Transcription:

WILL OF JAMES DAVIS

In the Name of God Amen. I James Davis of the District of Marion Planter being in health of body and of Sound mind memory and understanding Praise be to God for the same do make this my last will and testament in manner and form following.
First, I will that I shall be decently buried and I give and bequeath unto my wife Sarah Davis the one half of my Stock and Household furniture to her own proper use forever. It is also my will and desire that my wife Sarah Davis shall have her maintenance during her widowhood out of my estate. Fourthly I Give + bequeath unto my Son Theodore Gourdine Davis the remaining half of my Stock & Household furniture + plantation tools of every description.
Also It is my will + desire that he shall have the use and increase of the following negroes during his natural life and to the lawful Ifsue of his body forever, vis Silvy Philis Jimmy Frank, Nancy, Patrick, John, Gabriel, Billy Abram, Fanny Mary Scotland Bob + Jude But Should my Son Theodore Gourdine Davis die leaving no ifsue of his Body Then it is my will that the above mentioned negroes Bob + Jude shall return to my wife Sarah Davis for her own proper use forever. And the remaining part which is Silvy Phillis Jinny Frank Nancy Patrick John Gabriel Billy Abraham Fanny Mary and Scotland with all the Increases the females may have to go to my Nephew John Davis children to be divided among them Share and Share alike. I do nominate constitute and appoint my friends John Richardson John C Davis Thomas P. Davis and my Nephew John Davis my Executors of this my last will and testament hereby revoking and making void all and every other will + wills at any time heretofore by me made. And do declare this to be my last will + Testament. Witnefs whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 22d day of April in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred + seventeen in the forty first year of American Independence. Signed Sealed, declared + published by the above named James Davis and by the request and in his presence we have subscribed our names as Witnefses thereto.
James James                                                      James Davis {Seal}
John G Davis


South Carolina} Personally appeared before me Thos. Harllee Ordy Marion Dist}  for said District John C. Davis one of the subscribing witness to the within Will who being duly Sworn sayeth that he was personally present and did see the within testator Sign pronounce + declare the within instrument of writing to be and contain his last will and testament and that James James was the other subscribing witnefs to the same in the presence of the testator and at his request.
Sworn to before [me] this 14th May 1817}      John C. Davis
Thos. Harllee, Ordinary
 
Page 216
South Carolina}   Memorandum Feb’y 2nd 1818
Marion Dist}     James James personally appeared this day & made oath that the above probate Signed by John C. Davis was Just and True to the best of his knowledge.
Sworn to before me + afsigned              James James
     Thos. Harllee Ord’y of M. Dist.



James Davis is my 1st Cousin 6 times removed.









_____________________
Probate Office
Marion County, SC
Recorded in Will Book 1, Page 215, Image 133


https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9PT-29ZW-V?i=132&cat=391278

No comments:

Post a Comment