Monday, August 26, 2019

Amanuensis Monday~Last Will and Testament of Philip F. Davis, 1818.

Amanuensis Monday is a genealogy blogging theme. It was started by John Newmark who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog.
His definition of Amanuensis is:
Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.

Today’s subject is the Last Will and Testament of Philip F. Davis, 1818.
1


WILL OF PHILLIP F. DAVIS
In the name of God Amen I Phillip F. Davis Planter of Williamsburgh District calling to mind the mortality of man do make and declare this to be my last Will and testament
First I give my sole to Almighty God that gave it and my body to the dust to be buried at the discretion of my under named Executor
Secondly It is my will and desire that all my lawful debts & funeral expenses be paid
Thirdly I give to my friend Francis Britton my shot gun
Fourthly It is my will that all the remainder of my estate consisting of one tract of land in Williamsburgh District on Great Pee Dee whereon I now live also my stock of all Kinds Plantation tools Household and Kitchen furniture be sold at the discretion of my after named Executor either by publick or private sale I also empower my Executor to make good and lawful titles to the said Tract of land
Fifthly That my Executor lay out the moneys arising from the sales of said property for a negro or negroes and said negro or negroes to be given to my beloved sister Lucrisee Richardson and her heirs forever.
And I do hereby appoint my friend Wm Needbury my soul Executor
I also acknowledge this to be my last will and Testament in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and Eighteen February 27 Signed and Sealed in prence of
Benj’m Davis}                                   P. F. Davis
Francis Davis}


South Carolina} Personally appeared before me Thomas Harllee Marion District}  Ordinary of Marion District Benjamin Davis one of the subscribing witnesses to the within Will who being duly sworn on the Holy Evangelist of Almighty God saith that he saw Phillip F. Davis the within testator Sign seal pronounce + declare the within Instrument of writing to be and contain his last will + testament and that the said Benjamin Davis subscribed his name with the name Francis Davis as witnefses to the same at there request of the Testator + in his presence and in the presence of each other and that Philip F. Davis was then of sound disposing mind and memory to to <sic> the best of this deponents belief.
Sworn to + Sealed before me}            Benj’m Davis
This 5th day of May 1818}
      Thos. Harllee Ordy}        Recorded 5 June 1835


Phillip F. Davis, b. abt 1792, a son of Henry ‘Harry” Davis and his wife Rachel Elizabeth McCants. Phillip was a very successful Planter in the Williamsburgh District, South Carolina. I have found no record of a marriage. He leaves his estate to a Sister, Lucrisee Richardson. Phillip died before 5 May 1818; the day his Will was proven in Court.

5 May 1818
This day proved the Last Will + Testament of Philip F. Davis of Marion District by the oath of Benj. Davis one of the illegible? Witnefses.
2




Phillip F. Davis is my 2nd Cousin 5 times Removed.










_____________________
[1] https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9PT-29ZS-R?i=157&cat=391278>>>>Probate Office, Marion County, SC, Recorded in Will Book 1, Page 265, Image 158
[2] https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939L-V99S-XS?i=81&wc=M6NW-96D%3A210902901%2C210902902&cc=1919417

No comments:

Post a Comment