Friday, August 2, 2019

The Last Will and Testament of David Crawford


David Crawford Will


David Crawford’s Will

In the name of God Amen. I David Crawford being of sound mind and disposing mind and memory do make and publish this my last Will + Testament (Viz)
I give to my beloved wife Elizabeth Crawford a negro boy named Jack a woman by the name Edy + one by the name of Violet during her lifetime + afterwards to be legally divided among my children.
I leave + bequeath to my son Stephen a negro girl of the name of Ferrby + one hundred dollars to be paid out of my estate.
I give to my son Farr a negro boy of the name of Edward + one hundred dollars to be paid out of my estate.
I give to my son Michael a negro boy named Dan and one hundred dollars.
I give to my son David a negro boy named Ephraim + one hundred dollars.  
I give to my daughter Mary a negro girl named Matilda + one hundred dollars.  
I give to my daughter Elizabeth a negro girl named Jude + one hundred dollars.  
I give to my daughter Sarah a negro girl named Charlotte + one hundred dollars.  
I give to my daughter Rosa a negro girl named Merett + one hundred dollars.  
If any of the aforesaid said <sic> children should die without issue then part of the legacy to revert to the balance of my children.
I give my wife Elizabeth Crawford my Mare and Gig + wagon for her use, also all my household + kitchen furniture to be kept by her for my children + to be divided among them as she may think proper.
I give a Gray Horse to my daughter Mary.
I give a Bay Horse to my daughter Eliza.
I give a bay Colt to my son Mike.
I wish that all debts due to me (after paying all Just-debts that I may owe) should be equally divided among my children after paying the aforesaid Legacies. The  crop, stock of cattle, hogs farming utensils +c +c I leave my wife for the support of herself + family.
I appoint my wife Executrix + my son Stephen Executor of my estate to administer this my last Will + testament. Given under my hand & seal this 17th of September A. D. 1832.
Signed + sealed in the presence}                                    D. Crawford {seal}
of us the subscribing witnesses}
James Flournoy – Just.}
Thos. D. Clarke }
                
                           Anson Oct S. 1832
Then this Deed [Will]  was duly proven in open Court by James Flournoy + ordered to be recorded.
                                                   W. Dismukes, Clk.

David Crawford names his wife Elizabeth and his 8 children in his last will - wife, Elizabeth Crawford and children: Stephen, Farr, Michael, David, Mary, Sarah, Rosa, and Elizabeth.
David’s wife was Elizabeth Kendrick-Jackson, daughter of Col. Stephen Jackson and Nancy Ann Kendrick. Elizabeth Kendrick-Jackson Crawford has two sisters and one brother.

After the death of David Crawford in 1832, Elizabeth Kendrick-Jackson Crawford married Lewis Gainey about 1833. Lewis Gainey died before Oct 1855.

Mary Jackson, wife of John Field Auld, both of Union Parish, LA., 23 Oct. 1855, appoints James C. Craig of Chesterfield Dist., SC, her attorney to convey to Elizabeth Jackson, wife and widow of Lewis Ganey (late deceased), her interest in the Estate of her mother, Nancy Jackson  all of Chesterfield District, South Carolina. On 23 Apr 1856, James C. Craig of Chesterfield District, South Carolina, as Attorney aforementioned, sells to said Elizabeth Ganey for $600. the interest of said Mary Auld and John F. Auld (in right of his wife) in the Estate of Nancy Kendricks of Anson Co., NC."[2]

An exact death date has not been found for David Crawford but his death occurred about October 1832. 

______________________
Plus + sign used in lieu of ampersand thorough out the Will. 
[1] Anson County, North Carolina Probate Records, 1735-1970
Wills, 1829-1848, Vol. B, Page 20 and 21; Image 16
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939L-NH97-VD?i=15&wc=32LF-VZS%3A169763901%2C169832801&cc=1867501
[2] "Anson Co, NC (Stack File # C.R. 005.928.3)"  North Carolina Genealogical Society Journal, Vol III, No. 1, February 1977, pg. 6. 
[3] Laws of North Carolina, Chapter CXXVL, 1804. "An act to alter names of the persons therein mention, and to legitimate them. Be enacted by the General Assembly of the State of North Carolina, and it is hereby enacted by the authority of the same. That the names of …. John Kindrick, Polly Kindrick [Mary], Betsey Kindrick [Elizabeth] and Salley Kindrick [Sarah], natural born children of Stephen Jackson, of Anson County, be altered to the names of John Jackson, Polly Jackson, Betsey Jackson and Salley Jackson..."

No comments:

Post a Comment