Monday, September 23, 2019

Amanuensis Monday~Last Will and Testament of Hannah (Dunham) Davis, 1811

Amanuensis Monday is a Web Blog theme started by blogger John Newmark. You can access his blog here.

A full explanation of the Amanuensis Monday blog theme can be found here.


Today’s subject is the Last Will and Testament of Hannah (Dunham) Davis, 1811. 1
Transcription: 

WILL OF HANNAH DAVIS

In the name of God Amen I Hannah Davis of the District of Marion and State of South Carolina being weak in body but of perfect mind memory and understanding thanks be to Almighty God for the same and calling to mind the Mortality of man that it is appointed once for all men to die do make ordain & constitute this my last will & Testament in form and manner following that is to say First of all I recommend my soul into the hands of Almighty God that gave it & my body to the dust to be buried in a decent Christian manner & as to what worldly goods it hath pleased God to give me I will and bequeath them in form and manner following Vis I will that all my Just debts & funeral expenses be paid and discharged Item I lend unto my beloved daughter Hannah Woodberry and to her lawful ifsue One negroe woman namely Jim & the increase of her body from the date of Eighteen hundred and eleven Item I lend unto my beloved son Nimrod Davis and the lawful ifsue of his body Seven Negroes namely Frank Silvy, Jack Isaac Ethelee Billy and Dahlia and their increase Stock of Cattle Hogs and Sheep Household and Kitchen furniture Books and Hand mill Item I lend unto my beloved Grand daughter Hannah Mary Groom one negro Girl namely Flora and her increase and give to the lawful ifsue of her body Item I lend unto my beloved Grandson John Groom and give unto the lawful ifsue of his body One negro boy namely Fortune I will that if any of my Grandchildren should die leaving no lawful ifsue for the above named property to return to such of my Grandchildren as may be surviving at that time or the lawful ifsue of their bodies And last of all I do nominate & appoint my beloved son Nimrod Davis and my beloved friend Henry Davis Executors to this my last will and Testament hereby revoking all and every former wills or will by me heretofore made declaring this to be my last Will and Testament In Witnefs Whereof I have hereunto set my hand and Seal this thirteenth day of July in the year of our Lord one thousand Eight hundred and Eleven and in the thirty fifth of American Independence The words in. and. interlined _ Signed Sealed published [and declared strikethrough and replaced with published] and declared to be my last will and testament in presence of
Elizabeth Woodbury                                  Hannah Davis {Seal}
Henry M Davis
Henry Davis Junr

Hannah (Dunham) Davis is the wife of Benjamin Davis, Jr. 

Benjamin is my 1st Cousin 6 times Removed


______________________
[1] Marion District, South Carolina, Will Books:Will Book 1, Page 264 WILL of Hannah Davis; www.familysearch.org, Marion, Marion County, South Carolina; https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9PT-29CY-B?i=158&cat=391278














No comments:

Post a Comment