Monday, October 21, 2019

Amanuensis Monday~Last Will of Archibald Graves

Amanuensis Monday is a Web Blog theme started by blogger John Newmark. You can access his blog here.
A full explanation of the Amanuensis Monday blog theme can be found here.
Today’s subject is the Last Will of Archibald Graves, 1855.

Transcription


Last Will and Testament of Archibald Graves


I Archibald Graves of the State of Alabama and County of Pike; do hereby make and ordain this my last Will and Testament. First, I resign my body to the dust, and my Soul, to God who gave it.  Second, I give and bequeath to my beloved wife, Harriett Graves, all my land and plantation, all my live Stock of every description, all my plantation Tools, Household and Kitchen Furniture, and five Negroes, to wit, One Negro man Jess, about Forty years of age, One Negro Boy by the name of Dave, fourteen  years of age, One Negro Boy Burrell, two years of age, One Negro Girl, Latha, eight years of age and One Negro Girl, Manda, five years of age during her natural life. Third, I give to my beloved daughter Eliza Ann Mills, one Negro woman by the name of Frances, about Twenty years of age.
Fourth, I give to my beloved daughter Martha Jane Flowers, one
Negro Girl by the name Ginny, about eighteen years in age; and at the death of my beloved wife Harriett Graves, I give all my lands, all the live Stock, Household and Kitchen furniture, to be equally divided between my beloved Sons James Marion Graves and Lorenza Ruffin Graves.
Fifth, I give to my beloved Son James Madison Graves, at the death of wife, Two Negroes, a girl Latha, Eight years of age and a boy by the name of Burrell, Two years of age. 
Sixth, At the end of the natural life of my beloved wife, I give to my beloved Son Lorenza Ruffin Graves, Two negroes, to wit, Dave, a boy Fourteen years of age, and Manda a girl. about Five years of age.
Seventh, At the end of the natural life of my beloved wife, I give to my two Sons James Marion Graves, and Lorenza Ruffin Graves on Negro Man Jess, about Forty tears of age.
In Witness whereof, I, Archibald Graves have hereunto set my hand and Seal, this 2nd day of October A. D. 1855
Signed in the presence of us}                          Arch'd Graves {Seal}
C. M Carlisle}
R. D. Sessions}

The State of Alabama}Special Court of Probate
County of Pike} April 7th, 1856
Personally appeared in open Court Richard D. Sessions and Charles M. Carlisle, subscribing Witnesses to the last Will and Testament of Archibald Graves, Dec'd, and each, first being duly sworn, saith on oath, that they were present on the day when said Will purports to have been signed by the said Archibald Graves, that the said signature to said Will, was signed and acknowledged by the said Archibald, in their presence, Severally to be his signature, and that he signed, published + declared the same to be his last Will and Testament; And that the said Testator, at the time of Signing the same was of Sound and disposing mind and memory + of the age of 21 years.
Sworn to in Open Court}                                 R. D. Sessions
at Office this the 7th day}                                Charles M. Carlisle
of April A. D. 1856} 
It is therefore Ordered by the Court, that the Same be admitted to Probate, as the Last Will and Testament of said Archibald Graves, and that it be filed and Recorded.
Bird Fitz Patrick
Judge of Probate

Archibald Graves is the husband of Harriett Edna Eddins my 1st Cousin 4 times removed. Harriett is the daughter of Richard Eddins and Elizabeth Wilson and the Granddaughter of William B. and Harriett Eddins.
                           
This IS NOT the Archibald James Graves, son of Daniel Graves and Mary Ann Gulledge of Chesterfield County, SC. 





_________________
[1] Pike County, Alabama, Will Book A-B: page 127 Last Will and Testament of Archibald Graves; FamilySearch.com, Salt Lake City, Utah.




No comments:

Post a Comment