Monday, October 14, 2019

The Last Will of Catherine (David) Lewis



In the Name of God Amen the Eight day of November in the year of our Lord one thousand Seven Hundred & forty-six. Catherine Lewis of Mill Creek Hundred in Newcastle County (word illegible?) Delaware, Widow, being very Sick and Weak in body, but of perfect Mind and memory thanks be to God, therefore, calling to mind the mortality of my body and knowing that it is appointed for all men once to die do make & ordain this my last Will & Teftament, that is to Say Principally and first of all I give and Recommend my Soul into the hands of God who gave it and for my body I recommend it to the earth to be Buried in a Christian Like and Decent manner, at the Discretion of my Executors, nothing doubting but at general Resurrection I shall receive the same again by the Mighty Power of God; and as touching such worldly Eftate~~ wherewith it hath Pleased God to blefs me in this Life I give Devise and Dispofs of the same in the following manner and form &c. Imprimis it is my Will and I do order that in the first Place all my just debts and funeral charges be paid and satisfied: ~~~


Items. I give and bequeath to the Reverend Owen Thomas the Sum of two pounds; I likewise give & Bequeath to the Rev^d David Davice the Sum of two Pounds; I likewise give & Bequeath to Phillip Thomas the sum of five shillings, ~~
Item. I give and Bequeath unto Such of the children of Phillip utterly disallow, Revoke and Disanul all former and other Wills heretofore by me Made, and do confirm this to be my last Will and testament Thomas (being begot of and on the Body of Sarah Thomas) as she the said~~ Sarah Thomas shall think fit, all and Singular the Lands, Messuage and Tenements to him or them and to his, her or their Heirs and afsigns for ever:----
Item I do likewise Constitute, Make and ordain my Trusty and well-beloved friend Sarah Thomas abovesaid to be my Sole Executrix of this my last Will and Teftament; and I utterly Disallow, Revoke and Disanul all former and other Wills heretofore by me made, and do confirm this to be my last Will and Teftament and no others. In Witnefs whereof I have hereunto set My hand and Seal, the day and year first above written. ~~~~~~~~~
Signed, Sealed in Prefence                    Catherine (her mark) Lewis
of us
Jonathan Evans
John Lewis
John Gillahan

Catherine David, b. 18 Oct 1688 was the firstborn daughter of Morgan David and his 2nd wife Catherine Howell.

She married Griffith Lewis, date unknown. No children have been identified borne of this union.  

Catherine wrote her Will the 8th of May 1746. The Will was probated on 1 April 1747. Catherine died sometime between these two dates. No record of her death has yet been found.  

Catherine (David) Lewis is my 6th Great Grand Aunt.  




___________________
https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/9044/007653219_00853/513795#?imageId=007653219_00856 (Image 856 of 902)















No comments:

Post a Comment