Friday, October 4, 2019

Reported Strife Between Evan David, Jr. and His Father

Evan David, Jr. was born in 1722, Merion Township Pennsylvania. He was a son of Evan David, Sr. and Jane Rees.

In 1723, Evan David, Sr. and his wife Jane moved the family from Pennsylvania to Pencader Hundred, New Castle County, Delaware. There Evan Jr. met and married Mary Haughey about 1740. Mary was the daughter of William and Sarah Haughey.

Harry Alexander Davis in his book on the David/Davis family reported that “This marriage strongly opposed by his father caused an estrangement never reconciled..” Evan Jr. may have never reconciled with his Father but by Sarah Haughey Will it's obvious that he maintained a  congenial family relationship with his wife’s parents. 1

Sarah Haughey, Mother of Mary (Haughey) David, died about 1787. In her will, Sarah Haughey, left the following legacies to her Son-in-law and grandchildren. Mary, her daughter, is not mentioned; she had passed away in 1780 and her estate was probated that year.



Partial Will Transcription:

“…I give and bequeath two shillings and six pence to my Son in law Evin David I give and bequeath two Shillings and six pence to my Granson Nathaniel David I give and bequeath the sum of twenty Shillings to my Granson Joshua David I give and bequeath the sum of twenty Shillings to my Granson Hugh David I give and bequeath the sum of twenty Shillings. Lastly, I Constitute and appoint my son William Hughey & my Daughter Ann Haughey Executors of this my last Will and…”

If there was strife between Evan Sr. and Evan Jr. I found no evidence of it in my research. Evan Sr. died in 1748; eight years after his son’s marriage to Mary Haughey.

Evan David, Jr. passed away sometime in the years 1796/1797.

Evan David, Jr. is my 5th Great Grand Uncle. 






____________________________
[1] Harry Alexander Davis, The Davis Family (Davies and David) in Wales and America: genealogy of Morgan David of Pennsylvania (Washington, D.C.: H. A. Davis, 1927), pages 30, 31.
[2] Last Will and Testament Sarah Haughey (1787), WILL BOOK: "M"; page 266; Probate Office, Wilmington, New Castle County, Delaware.

No comments:

Post a Comment