Monday, October 28, 2019

The Last Will and Testament of Charlotte (Jones) Lambeth

Our knowledge of the life of Charlotte Jones is very limited. Her parents are unknown at present. Most of the data known about Charlotte was obtained from a Cheraw County Equity records dated 1846.

[#12] Gainey, Lewis, Wm. H. Gainey + others vs. Charlotte Gainey - Bill for account and specific delivery of property 1846

A record of her first marriage to Jacob P. Gainey in 1836 was found in a Fayetteville Newspaper.

MARRIAGE: Fayetteville Newspaper 1816-1840, Fayetteville Observer and Predecessor Papers. August 11, 1836, In same county, recently, Mr. Jacob GANEY of SC to Miss Charlotte JONES of Anson.

After the death of her husband, Jacob P. Ganey on 4 April 1845, Charlotte married Amos Lambeth of  Randolph County, NC on 1 Dec 1846. This turned out to be a bad marriage for Charlotte with Amos abandoning her and absconding with some of the slaves of the Jacob P. Gainey estate. Much of the equity record deals with who has rightful ownership to the estate of Jacob P. Gainey and Lewis Gainey. The entire Equity suit runs over 120+ pages.

Charlotte outlived Amos by many years passing away on 23 July 1891 at the age of 84 years. Her Tombstone can be viewed here: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/48501608?search=true

Last Will of Charlotte Lambeth


North Carolina}
Anson County}
                    I, Charlotte Lambeth of the aforesaid County and State. Is being of Sound mind and considering the uncertainty of my earthly existence, do make + declare this my last will and testament:
First, My Executor hereinafter named shall give my body a decent burial, suitable to the wishes of my friend and relative, and pay all funeral expenses together with all my just Debts, out f the first moneys which may come into his hands belonging to my estate.
Second, I give and bequest to my sister Mary Stubbs all my personal property of every description whatsoever, that I may possess at my Death, after first paying my funeral expenses as above directed out of said property.
Third, I give and bequest to my sister Mary Stubbs and my nephew J. M. Jones to be divided equally between them share and share alike all the rents that may be due  at my death or that may become due thereafter under the lease of my lands in Chesterfield County South Carolina until the expiration of the said lease, by the terms  therein expressed, then the lands to be disposed of as hereinafter directed.
Fourth, I give and devise to my said Sister Mary Stubbs and my said Nephew J. M. Jones, to be divided equally between them, share and share alike, and their heirs in fee simple, a tract of land lying and being situated in the County of Chesterfield in the State of South Carolina containing Two Hundred and Thirteen (213) acres more or less, lying on the waters of Cedar branch and Thompsons Creek, and more particularity described by metes and bounds in a plat made by J. S. Jones Surveyor on the 2nd day of August 1875, to which plat reference may be had for a more particular description.
Fifth- My will and desire is that my lands above mentioned be equally divided between my said Sister Mary Stubbs and my said Nephew J. M.Jones, and I hereby direct, that at the expiration of the said lease as above stated,if they, my said Sister Mary Stubbs and my said Nephew J. M. Jones cannot mutually agree upon an Equal division of said lands, share and share alike, then and in that case my Executor hereinafter named shall sell the said lands at the best advantage, by public sale, and divide the proceed equally between my said sister Mary Stubbs and nephew J. M. Jones as above directed.
Sixth I hereby constitute and appoint my said nephew J. M.Jones my lawful Executor to all intents and purposes, to execute this my last will and testament, according to the true intent and (illegible) of the same,and every part and clause thereof, hereby revoking and declaring utterly void all other wills and testaments by me heretofore made.
In testimony whereof I, the said Charlotte Lambeth do hereunto set my hand and seal this Fourth (4) day of June A. D. 1891.
                                                                                  Charlotte X her mark Lambeth {Seal}
Signed, sealed, published and declared by the said Charlotte Lambeth to be her last will and testament in the presence of us who at her request and in her presence do subscribe our names as witnesses thereto.
E. F. Mathis
W. E. Pennington 
 



______________________
[1] Charlotte LAMBETH (1891), WILL BOOK: Last Will and Testament; Will Book "D", page 295-296; Probate Office, Wadesboro, Anson County, North Carolina.

No comments:

Post a Comment