Thursday, October 10, 2019

The Marriage of Charles Wilson Dry

Most married couples will tell you that their wedding day was one of the most glorious and happiest days of their life. On Thursday, 11 October 1855, I’m certain that both Charles Wilson Dry and his lovely bride Leah A. Fisher felt the same exhilaration for this was the day they were united in marriage.



Like most couple's these were happy times in their life and they were looking forward to the future. As a young couple in our new republic, I doubt that the threat of war ranked very high in their daily lives. To most, during this time, a day’s work on the farm and caring for their children was their main concern.

But a Civil War was coming and it arrived on 12 April 1861  when Confederate forces fired upon Union-occupied Fort Sumter. Charles and Leah had just celebrated their 5th Wedding Anniversary in October of the previous year. On 5 February 1862, less than a year after the war began, Charles enlisted with Company 2nd B, North Carolina 42nd Infantry Regiment. I’m certain that many thoughts went through their minds on this first Monday of February 1862 but I doubt that the thought of never seeing each other again was among them. 

I have not found Charles and Leah in the 1860 Census so I don’t know if they had children or were childless. But, I do know that the next record of Charles Wilson Dry is dated 17 March 1862 just a mere 40 days after enlisting for the War.

Sadly, that record turned out to be a probate record of Charles Wilson Dry estate. I know that Charles died between 5 Feb 1862 and 17 March 1862 but I don’t know anything about his death. Nor, have I been able to find his widow, Leah A. Fisher Dry after his death.

If you have any information about this Couple I would love to hears from you. Just post your comments locally.  

Charles Wilson Dry is my 2nd Cousin 4 times removed.
















_________________________
[1] Charles Wilson Dry - Leah A. Fisher, (11 October 1855), North Carolina Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868: Bond #: 000007752; Ancestry, Raleigh, North Carolina, North Carolina.
[2] Charles W. Dry, compiled military record (Company 2nd B, North Carolina 42nd Infantry), U.S. Civil War Soldier Records and Profiles, U.S. Civil War Soldiers, 1861-1865 (Provo, Utah: www.ancestry.com), N/A.
[3] Charles Wilson Dry - Leah A. Fisher, (11 October 1855), North Carolina Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868: Bond #: 000007752; Ancestry, Raleigh, North Carolina, North Carolina.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9PGK-2K9?cc=1911121

2 comments:

  1. Hello--Charles W Dry is also my 2nd cousin 4 x removed! I have a source http://nccivilwarcenter.org/charles-w-dry-drye-42nd-nc-regiment-company-2nd-b/
    that indicates Dry died in 1863, although I can find no other information. I also haven't located any information on his probate, and I would greatly appreciate any information you might toss my way. I can't begin to guess exactly how we are related (my grandmother was a Dry from Texas) so I will just say thank you cousin, and have a good weekend--stay safe and healthy.

    Regards,
    Sherrie Van Houten
    wingfan19@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops--found the probate! But--there is a Charles W Dry who married a Cresey/Crissy Hartman in Rowan County NC 5 Feb 1857. Either Leah died, or there are two Charles W Drys running around. (Very possible. The Drys have an annoying habit of giving all of their children the same name). The bondsman for this wedding was a Moses Dry--the original Charles had a brother named John Moses (at least I believe he is Charles' brother. So, the request for info still stands--thank you!

    Sherrie Van Houten
    wingfan19@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete