Sunday, October 6, 2019

The Last Will and Testament of Thomas David, 1793.

Thomas David was born abt 1727 in Newcastle County, Maryland to Evan David, Sr. and Jane Morgan. He married Margaret Davidson abt 1750. Thomas and Margaret had 4 children. Their son Joshua is deceased and not mentioned in the Will displayed below. Their other two sons and a daughter are named in the Will.1


Transcription:


In the name of God amen! I Thomas David of Pencader hundred in Newcastle county State of Delaware, being sick and weak of body but of sound and perfect mind, memory and understanding, do hereby declare and constitute this instrument of writing to be my last will and testament, thereby recommending my soul into the hands of almighty God who gave it and my body to the earth, to be decently interred at the discretion of my executor or executors hereafter named, and as to what worldly or temporal estate it hath pleased almighty God to blefs me with it is my will and desire, after my just debts and funereal expenses are paid and satisfied to dispense of in the following manner, (to wit): Impimis, I give and bequeath unto my two sons Davidson David and Thomas David the whole of my dwelling plantation containing about two hundred and twenty eight acres to be divided between them in the following manner and proportion viz the quantity of one hundred acres to be laid off (excluding three house and orchard) and allotted to my son Davidson his heirs and afsigns forever; and likewise the quantity one hundred and twenty eight acres to be laid off (including the house and orchard) and allotted unto unto <sic> my son Thomas his heirs and afsigns forever And it is my desire and direction that the said allotments shall be laid off in as regular a manner as the situation of my plantation will admit of having due regard just proportions of clear of timbered land to each, as also quality of soil. Item I give and bequeath unto my son Davidson aforesaid my riding carriage and harness thereunto belonging. Item I give and bequeath unto my son Thomas a young negro man called Jacob as also the bed and furniture which he now occupies. Item I give and bequeath unto my Daughter Margaret Peirce a negro girl called Judith (or Jude) as also the sum of Forty pounds lawful money which money is to be paid her in one year after my decease by my sons Davidson and Thomas in equal payments of twenty pounds each, out of the legacies hereby bequeathed to them. Item, and all the remainder of my estate, (exclusive of the aforesaid legacies) and after the payment of my just debts I give and bequeath unto my two sons Davidson and Thomas to be equally divided between them and I also desire that my executors do emancipate my negro wench Dinah in two years after my death. And lastly, I do hereby constitute and appoint my two sons Davidson and Thomas to be whole and sole executors of this my last will and testament hereby revoking every will or testament heretofore by me made. In Witnefs whereof I have hereunto set my hand seal this sixteenth day of November, anno Domini one thousand seven hundred and ninety three. 1793
Signed sealed, published and delivered by the}
Above named testator to be his last will and}       Tho^s David sen {LS}
Testament in the presence of us the sub}
scribing witnefses.}
Robert Armstrong, Elisha Boldin, Nath Williams. Newcastle County Js. Before me personally appeared Elisha Boldin, one of the subscribing witnefses to the foregoing will, and upon his solemn oath doth declare, that he saw Thomas David, the elder, sign and seal the foregoing instruments of writing and heard him publish, pronounce, and declare the same to be his last will and testament; that at the time of his so doing and saying, he was, to the best of this deponent’s belief; of sound and disposing Mind and Memory; and that he this deponent, signed his name as a witnefs to the said Will, at the request and in the presence of the testator, and of Robert Armstrong and Nathaniel Williams, whom he also saw subscribe their named respectively as witnefses to the said will, at the same time, and in the presence of the testator. In testimony whereof, I have hereunto set my hand, at Newcastle, the thirtieth day of December, in the year of our Lord One thousand and seven hundred and ninety three.
                                                                            Jas. Booth, Regt.

Be it remembered that on the thirtieth day of December A. D. 1793, the last will and testament of Thomas David, senior, deceased, was in due form pf law proved, approved, and insinuated, and letters testimony thereon, were granted unto Davidson David and Thomas David executors in the same will named they being solemnly sworn well and truly to execute the same, and exhibit an Inventory unto the Registers office at Newcastle, on or before the thirtieth day of March next, and render a true and just account of their administration on or before the thirtieth day of December next, or when thereunto lawfully required. Given under the seal of said office. P
Bond in L500. Elisha Bolden Surety.              Jas. Booth Regt.


Thomas David is my 5th Great Grand Uncle.


__________________
[1] Thomas David (1793), WILL BOOK: Last Will and Testament; WILL BOOK N1, Pages 390-391; Probate Office, Wilmington, New Castle County, Delaware.

















No comments:

Post a Comment